Spicy Seared Eggplant
Adapted from Martha Stewart
- 1-2 eggplant, cut crosswise into 8 slices, each about 3/4 inch thick
- Coarse salt
- 1 bunch scallions, trimmed and cut
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons sherry-wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon red-pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons golden raisins
- 1/4 cup plus 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Vegetable oil, for grill
- Sprinkle the eggplant slices with salt, place in a colander set over a bowl, and let stand for 30 minutes. Rinse eggplant and pat dry.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat combine scallions, garlic, sugar, vinegar, red-pepper flakes, and 3 tablespoons water. Bring to a boil, cook 1 minute, and remove from heat. Stir in raisins, and 1/4 cup of olive oil; cool to room temperature.
- Heat grill to high and brush grates with vegetable oil. Brush eggplant with remaining 4 teaspoons olive oil. Cook eggplant until charred and tender, turning over halfway through, about 10 minutes.
- Arrange eggplant on platter and spoon scallion mixture over top. Cool to room temperature and serve.