Leah and Nomi's Zucchini Cake
Adapted from America's Test Kitchen
4 small zucchini, ends trimmed Note: if using large zucchini, aka zucchini bats, slice lengthwise and scoop out centers. Total, you should have around 4 cups of grated zucchini.
4 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp ground allspice
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
12 T unsalted butter, melted and cooled
4 large eggs
1 6 ounce container of Fruit on the Bottom Yogurt – we used Dannon Blueberry
2 T Fresh Lemon Juice
1. Adjust oven rack to the middle position and heat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease two large loaf pans. Shred zucchini using the large holes of a box grater (or food processor) and press between paper or dish towels to remove excess moisture.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, allspice and salt. In a medium bowl, whisk together the sugar, melted butter, eggs, yogurt and lemon juice until smooth. Gently fold the wet into the dry until just combined.
3. Scrape the batter into the prepared pans and smooth the top. Bake until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with just a few crumbs attached, about 1 hr, rotating the pans halfway through baking.
4. Let the loaves cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and let cool for 1 hr before serving. Share and enjoy.
5. To freeze, allow to cool completely. Wrap in aluminum foil, then place inside gallon sized freezer bag. Loaves will keep for 3 months at the back of your refrigerator freezer, up to 6 months in your deep freeze.