1 butternut squash – peeled, seeded, and roughly chopped
1 yam or sweet potato, peeled and roughly chopped
2 pears (bosc works well), cored and roughly chopped (not overly ripe)
1 onion, peeled and chopped
1/2 cup coconut milk
6.5 cups vegetable broth
1 cinnamon stick
1/2 to 1 inch ginger root, peeled and minced
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
Sea salt and pepper
1. Combine squash, sweet potato, cinnamon stick, and ginger in a soup pot. Add 6 cups vegetable broth (save 1/2 cup for later), bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
2. While vegetables are simmering in soup pot, cook onions in olive oil in a pan over medium heat – about 5 minutes or until caramelized.
3. Add chopped pears and 1/2 cup vegetable broth to onions. Cook for about 5 minutes, or until broth is reduced; then add pears and onions to soup pot..
4. When squash and sweet potatoes are tender (takes about 25 – 30 minutes), add coconut milk. Remove from heat and take out cinnamon stick.
5. Use a food processor, strong blender, or a hand-held blender to blend all ingredients together until smooth. If you use a food processor or blender, you may have to do this in batches.
6. Add sea salt and pepper, to taste..