Author: Laura Bashar
The key to making these chips is to make sure all of the chips are the same thickness and approximate size. Smaller pieces will brown faster and will need to be removed before the larger slices are done baking. These sweet potato chips have crispy edges and softer centers. For super crispy chips, slice to 1/16 inch thickness and bake at 385ºF for 10-12 minutes total, and do not flip the slices over. Allow the chips to cool on the baking sheet until crisp.
o 1 large sweet potato
o 1 Tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
o 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
o 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
o 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400ºF. Scrub the sweet potato clean.
2. Using a mandolin, cut the sweet potato into 1/8-inch slices. Combine sweet potato slices in a bowl and coat both sides with olive oil and season with salt.
3. Place the sweet potato slices on a baking sheet in one layer, making sure the slices are not touching each other.
4. Cook for 12 minutes, then flip over. Cook for an additional 10-12 minutes until edges start to brown and crisp.
5. The last 3-5 minutes are crucial as the chips can quickly go from perfect to burnt, so remove promptly when edges are starting to brown.
6. Allow the chips to cool on the pan until crisp further and serve.