Pan Fried Cucumber with Perilla
2 Large Slicing Cucumbers, peeled, sliced in half lengthwise, seeded, and cut crosswise into 1/4" slices
3-4 Cloves of garlic chopped
2 tsp Premium quality light soy sauce
1-2 tsp Clear Chinese Rice vinegar
1/2 tsp white sugar
2 dried chilies de seeded
1 Tb Chili Oil w/flakes
1/3 Cup of perilla leaves, cut into a chiffonade (shredded or finely cut leaves)
1 tsp Sesame Oil
3 Tb peanut oil
– Heat wok over high heat until smoking
– Add oil and swirl around wok. Add dried chilies and scald, but do not burn.
– Add the cucumber slices in a single layer around the wok and fry until the cucumber slices start turning golden brown
– Turn cucumber slices as necessary.
– Once slices start developing color, add sugar, garlic, and chili oil, and stir fry.
– When dish becomes fragrant, splash in soy sauce and vinegar, and mix well.
– Remove from heat and mix in perilla leaves. Stir in sesame oil and serve.