Gluten Free Carrot Cake
"This is one of my favourite recipes that I have discovered. It is moist and tastes almost identical to the wheat containing carrot cake. It is without a doubt my favourite recipe from Robin Rybergs cookbook 'The Gluten free Kitchen'
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup cornstarch
2/3 cup potato starch
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp xantham gum
3 tbsp water
1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)
1 1/2 cups packed grated carrots (about 4 medium carrots)
2 cups powdered sugar
3 ounces cream cheese
2 tbsp butter, softened
1 tsp vanilla flavoring
3 drops milk
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
2. In large bowl, combine oil, sugar, and brown sugar. Mix well.
3. Add all remaining ingredients except for nuts and carrots. Mix well, being sure that no lumps remain in the batter.
4. Mix in carrots and nuts.
5. Pour batter into greased 8×8 or 9×9 baking pan. Bake 45-55 minutes until toothpick inserted in center tests clean.
6. Note that this cake will have a bit of a dome when first removed from the oven. It will settle as it cools.
7. For icing: Combine powdered sugar, cream cheese, butter, and vanilla. Beat very well. Add a few drops of milk as needed.
8. Spead icing on cooled cake. Freeze extra portions.